Field Pea Shoot Recipes
Flash-Cooked Greens with Garlic
- 5, 2 oz containers of HOFF Field Pea Shoots
- 1/2 teaspoon canola or olive oil
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced thinly
- 1-1/4 tablespoons rice wine, sake or water 1⁄8 teaspoon salt, if desired
Heat oil in a wok or skillet. Add pea shoots and garlic; toss lightly about 20 seconds, then add rice wine and salt. Toss over high heat 1 minute or less, just until wilted. Lift out of pan, leaving the liquid. Serve. (From A Spoonful of Ginger: Irresistible, Health-Giving Recipes from Asian Kitchens by Nina Simonds, Knopf, 1999.)
Pea Vine Salad
- 4, 2 oz containers of HOFF Field Pea Shoots
- 1/8 pound snow peas, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon hot-chili oil
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds*
Wilt the pea vines; drain on paper towels. Fluff and separate the leaves as much as possible. Cut the snow peas on the diagonal into thirds. Place in boiling water for 1 minute. Drain, rinse with cold water and pat dry. Whisk together liquids and sugar. Toss the pea vines with half of the dressing and half of the sesame seeds. Arrange on a serving dish. Toss the snow peas with the remaining dressing and sesame seeds. Arrange on top of pea vines. Serves 4. (Adapted from a Seattle Times recipe, June 24, 1998.) *To toast sesame seeds, heat a dry skillet. Add sesame seeds, shaking gently until they begin to turn golden brown and fragrant. Remove from heat and cool.
Field Pea and Cucumber Salad
- 2 oz of chopped HOFF Field Pea Shoots
- 1/2 cup peeled diced cucumber (deseeded)
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- salt and black pepper
Mix together the veggies and pea shoots in a bowl. Whisk together the salt, pepper, lemon juice and olive oil in a separate bowl. Add to the veggies and shoots mix and toss well. Garnish with cilantro and sunflower seeds and serve at room temperature or slightly chilled.
Sunflower Shoot Recipes
Summer-All-the-Time Sunflower Salad
- 8 cups of fresh arugula or spinach
- 2 oz of HOFF sunflower shoots
- 2-3 Roma tomatoes
- 1 cucumber
- 1 carrot
- 1 avocado
- 1/2 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup of honey mustard dressing
Cut the Roma tomatoes and cucumbers into thin slices. Grate the carrots, or peel into thin ribbons. Chop the avocado into bite sized pieces. Take all the ingredients and toss in a large bowl. Serve immediately.
Tracy's Terrific Pesto Recipe
- 4 oz of HOFF Sunflower or Red Rambo Radish micro greens
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 cups parsley
- 1/2 cup of pine nuts
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Freshly squeezed juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
Take sunflower or radish micro greens, garlic, parsley, pine nuts, and lemon juice and blend in food processor or blender. With motor running, add olive oil in a slow stream. Add parmesan cheese & taste. Adjust with more lemon juice, salt and/or pepper to personal preference. The beauty of this recipe is it is set up to be adjusted based on personal preference. If you are a garlic fan - add 4 or 5 cloves instead of 3. Love cilantro? Add 1/2 cup of it in place of parsley. If you're feeling froggy, add 2 tbsp thyme leaves, or tarragon and sage. Substitute toasted cashews or pecans if you don't have any pine nuts. And of course, adding more parmesan is never a bad thing...unless dairy is no friend to you.
Looking for fun ways to enjoy pesto? Well Tracy has that covered too: The recipe above is great as dip with chips, crackers, or fresh vegetables. Looking for an easy spin on a classic family favorite? Substitute this pesto for red sauce on your next homemade pizza. Top it with goat cheese, fresh basil and Roma tomatoes for a tasty dish. Want some zest in your lunch? Mix a tbsp of pesto with 3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt for a yummy spread for your sandwich or wrap. Makes an excellent salad dressing too!
Hungry for some pasta? Take your pesto and mix with 3-4 tbsp of hot pasta water for a creamy pasta sauce. It's a great pasta dish served with seafood, chicken or pork!
Red Russian Kale Recipes
- 6 oz of baby spinach leaves
- 1/2 of sliced cucumber
- 1 oz of HOFF Red Russian Kale micro greens
- 1/3-1/2 cup of creamy balsamic dressing
- 1/4 cup of sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup of goat cheese crumbles
- 1/4 cup of dried cranberries
Toss the spinach, cucumber, Red Russian Kale micro greens, and cranberries. Add the dressing, almonds and goat cheese crumbles and toss before serving.
Micro Green Goddess Smoothie
- 10-12 oz of ice
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1 oz of HOFF's Red Russian Kale Micro Greens
- 2 bananas
- 1 Tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
Toss all ingredients into a blender for up to 2 minutes, or until all ingredients are smooth.
- 8 cups of spinach
- 1 oz of HOFF Red Russian Kale Micro Greens
- 2 oz of crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cucumber
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper
- 2 mandarin oranges
- 1/2 cup of raw almond slices
- 1/2 cup of balsamic vinaigrette
Slice cucumbers and bell peppers, and segment mandarin oranges. In a large bowl toss spinach, Kale micro greens, cucumbers, peppers, mandarin oranges, almond slices and vinaigrette. Top with goat cheese crumbles and serve immediately.
Lizzie's Elegantly Effortless Kale Micro Green Appetizer
- 1 oz of HOFF Red Russian Kale Micro Greens
- 1 French baguette
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2, 4 oz tubed packages of goat cheese
Set oven to broil. Cut baguette into 12 thick slices and brush with olive oil. Place on cookie sheet. Take each chilled 4 oz tube of goat cheese and cut into six 1/4 inch slices. Set aside. Set cookie sheet in the oven for about 20-30 seconds, or until the bread is toasted. Place toasted baguette slices on platter. Top each piece of toasted bread with goat cheese slice. Grab a pinch of Red Russian Kale Micro Greens and place on the goat cheese slice. Serve immediately.